- Goring lock keeper’s office T: 01491 872687
- Cleeve lock keeper’s office T: 01491 872608
- Self-service manual power lock operation when lock keepers are off duty at your own risk.
- Lock operation problems or incidents T: 0800 80 70 60 (24hrs)
- At Goring towpath (near lock).
- Goring towpath (free, 24-hr) downstream of Goring bridge.
- (Weir-side of lock apron by special arrangement with Lock keeper)
- Nearest upstream - Papist Way, Cholsey
- Ferry Lane, South Stoke (small boats only).
- Nearest downstream – Ferry Lane, Pangbourne
Canoe & small boat launch sites:
Check procedure with Goring lock keeper
- Steps at Goring lock lay-by
- From Swan at Streatley Hotel when available
Visitors' canoe and other unpowered vessel certificates available from lock keepers
- Restricted sites along river bank (Check with lock keeper and fishing signs)
- Rod licences are required (if over 12 years) and available at the Post Office (in McColls, Goring High Street)
- Rod licences do not give the right to fish from the river bank or a boat. You must have appropriate permission.
- NB: Coarse fish closed season is 15 March &15 June inc. Fishing is not permitted in lock cuts or approaches between 15 March & 15 October inc. or in lock lay-bys or chambers at any time.
- Downstream of main towpath beyond Ferry Lane open space there are 83 numbered pegged fishing positions owned and managed by Goring Fishing Club for their members and guests.
- Do not leave litter or discard any fishing tackle (hooks, weights or line etc) as they can, and do, cause danger and death to swans, ducks and other wildlife.
- See Freshwater Rod fishing rules here and Rod fishing byelaws here
- Not permitted in lock chambers, cuts, lay-bys or approaches
- Wild swimming in the river can be hazardous to you and also to boat and other river users and therefore is at your own risk
- All diving activities must have prior approval from the Environment Agency
- Incident Hotline T: 0800 80 70 60 (24 hrs)
- Enquiries T: 03708 506 506 (M – F: 8.00 am–6.00 pm)
- EA website
FACILITIES AT LOCAL LOCKS
- Dry refuse disposal: Under Goring bridge, near lock (Boater’s dry domestic refuse only)
- Drinking Water: Tap at Goring lock, on side of brick building. (For filling water containers only)
- Water with hose at Cleeve lock
Electric charging point:
- Goring lock, opposite lock house
- Nearest upstream: Benson
- Nearest downstream: Scours Lane, Reading
- (Also, see nearest highway fuel stations)
- Nearest upstream: Cleeve lock
- Nearest downstream: Sonning lock
- 24-hr WCs at Goring Wheel Orchard car park, Station Road
- Nearest upstream: Abingdon lock
- Nearest downstream: Shiplake lock
Chemic toilet disposal:
- Nearest upstream: Day’s lock
- Nearest downstream: Whitchurch lock
- Nearest upstream: Sheridan Marine, Moulsford (2m) T:01491 652085
- Nearest downstream: Reading Marine Services (9m) T: 0118 942 3877
- (Goring Hardware for tools & non-marine items T: 01491 872420)
For further general river information, click on the links below:
A User’s Guide to the River Thames (Environment Agency)
The River Thames Guide (The River Thames Guide Ltd)
Cruising Guide to The River Thames (Thames Valley British Marine Federation)
River Thames Guide (Free app and other downloads from British Marine)
NB: This information is published by Genie News (www.genienews.org). Whilst every effort has been made by volunteers to ensure the accuracy of this information, the publisher does not accept any responsibility or liability for the consequences of any errors or omissions.